Dear Family and Friends,
Celebrate with us as we launch a new chapter in service of God’s Kingdom! Andrew has all but completed his Master of Arts in World Missions and Evangelism at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. Amy celebrated the end of her work as Director of Education at Sylvan Learning Center on April 26.
Our plans to minister in the Czech Republic are taking shape. The next step is spending this summer in Prague to lay foundations for partnering with Prague Christian Fellowship.
June 18 we head to Aberdeen, Scotland to visit some of our friends from the Church of Scotland. June 22 to August 8, we will be serving alongside John and Kelsie Mullen and the international congregation of Křesťanské společenství Praha, Prague Christian Fellowship. Andrew will be working with John as a pastoral intern to complete the Overseas Missions Practicum for Gordon-Conwell. As this letter goes to press, we are making plans to join Prague Christian Fellowship on their mission trip to Ukraine in July.
One purpose of this summer is to “test drive” a partnership with Prague Christian Fellowship and make preparations for what may be a long-term relationship. Please pray that our time together in the Czech Republic this summer is fruitful, and that we may effectively discern together the next steps forward.
When we return to the USA at the end of August, we will travel to visit and update our faithful support team! In June we both return to “full-time Alongsider” status, and will once again depend on our team for spiritual, emotional, and financial support. We hope to add some new stops along the way as new families and churches join us for this new work in the Czech Republic and Eastern Europe. Please help us spread the word – who do you know who may be interested in being a part of what God is doing in the Czech Republic? We will have much to celebrate this Fall: the successful completion of seminary; helping find new Alongsiders who are now serving in Germany, France, and Estonia; this new partnership in the Czech Republic; and many stories to share from our summer serving in Europe!
Completing work at seminary and Sylvan has kept us very busy this Spring. One of Andrew’s major projects was an “ethnographic study” for a class with Dr. Steve Kang. Part of this project involved helping North Shore Community Baptist Church start a new outreach to international students. Speaking of NSCBC, we will miss our MA church family when we leave in June!
Thank you for your prayers, correspondence, and financial support as we launch this new chapter in world missions together!
Yours in Christ,
Andrew & Amy Funka
- Andrew successfully completing Gordon-Conwell coursework!
- Gordon-Conwell exceeded my expectations in providing not only a superb education but also helping to answer many questions I had as we continue to move forward in missions.
- Amy successfully handed over Director of Education duties to her replacement, leaving the Sylvan Learning Center in a healthy state.
- We see great potential in the partnership that is developing with Prague Christian Fellowship, and have confidence that God is leading us in an exciting direction.
- That our hearts will be ready to serve the Czech people as faithful witnesses of the Gospel.
- The practical arrangements that need to be made – this summer in the Czech Republic and Ukraine, this Fall travelling in the USA, and our anticipated future move to the Czech Republic.
- For North Shore Community Baptist Church as we leave our Massachusetts Church family.
- For our friend Phil and his ongoing leadership of the evening service.
- For our friend Karin and her ongoing leadership with international students.
- For the transition NSCBC faces as they seek a new senior pastor.